State the meaning of sliding pair, turning pair, rolling pair and spherical pair with one example each.
The centripetal acceleration is the rate of change of tangential velocity. When an object is moving with uniform acceleration in circular direction, it is said to be experiencing the centripetal acceleration.
Tangential acceleration is a measure of how the tangential velocity of a point at a certain radius changes with time. Tangential acceleration is just like linear acceleration, but it’s particular to the tangential direction, which is relevant to circular motion.
Limitations of knife edge follower are:
1. Excessive wear due to small area of contact between cam & follower surfaces.
2. In this follower a considerable thrust exists between the follower and guide.
Methods to reduce the slip in belt and pulley:
1. Vertical belt drive should be avoided.
2. In horizontal belt drive the upper side should be kept as loose side.
Law of Gearing: The law of gearing states that the angular velocity ratio of all gears of a meshed gear system must remain constant also the common normal at the point of contact must pass through the pitch point.
Self energizing & Self Locking brake
Rn x X = PL + μaRn
Rn = Normal reaction, P = Applied force, L = lever length
X = Distance of block from hinge, μ= coefficient of friction, a = distance of drum from hinge
In the above equation when frictional force adds to the breaking torque. In other words, the frictional torque and braking torque are in the same direction its a self locking brake.
In the above equation when X < μa, P becomes negative
Limitations of a shoe brake :
1. Heavy side thrust causes bending of the shaft.
2. More wear & tear as the contact surface is large.